Saturday, September 25, 2010
His rocketship room was a group effort to pull together. We think with great success.
One year ago he was such a delicate, beautiful person with so many people happy to see him arrive safe and sound.
What a lot of changes since last year. Happy Birthday to you!
Friday, September 24, 2010
This final one, crewel embroidery, was handmade by me about 25 years ago. I enjoyed making it, but never made another picture.
Sunday, September 12, 2010
I finally had a stretch of time to sew today. My challenge was inserting a man's shirt sleeve into the actual shirt using a flat-felled seam. I decided not to use my new flat-felled foot. I reseached this process, and sometimes people adjust seam allowances. I cut out this shirt before the research. Therefore, I wasn't able to make any seam adjustments, so I just used the usual 5/8" seam allowance.
I proceeded by inserting the sleeves in the usual way. That is, right sides together shirring the sleeve and easing the cap into the sleeve, pucker-free, before sewing the side seams of the shirt or the sleeve. This was easy, since there really wasn't much ease to deal with.
The flat-felled process is:
~ pressing the seam towards the sleeve
~ trimmed the bottom seam allowance in half
~ folding the top seam allowance in half
~ enclosing the half seam into the whole seam allowance
~ top stitching on the right side.
The real look of the flat-felled seam is on the inside.
Next I worked the side seams. It's the same process as above except I sewed the side seams wrong sides together. The flat-felled seam is right side out.
This is how it usually looks.
Before stopping for the day, I wanted to hem the shirt. When making a narrow hem, I sew two rows of basting stitches 1/4 inch apart. I press the fabric on the first basting line, then I press again on the second basting line, then pin. Using my edging foot, I sewed the hem.
A decorative touch is adding my DS's name on the bottom of the front band.
Thursday, September 09, 2010
Pattern: McCalls 4292 designed by Claire McCardell, an American designer.
Fabric: Beige/ivory/gold silk dupioni purchased from Delectable Mountain Cloth, Brattleboro, VT.
Underlining: Beige silk organza purchased on-line from Fashion Fabric Club.
Lining: Beige china silk purchased on-line from Fashion Fabric Club.
I made this sewing process more difficult than the pattern required. The dress is really simple and unlined. I decided to not only line the dress, but to underline it also. When sewing darts with an underlining, I mark the dart and the center line. The center is pinned, sewn with a basting stitch, folded on the basting line, then sewn in the usual way. This assures that the fabrics will not slip away from each other.
I hand stitched each seam open by attaching the seam to the underlining only using a whip stitch.
The dolman sleeves needed to be reinforced on the outside. I used my favorite foot, the edger.
The ties had wide seams. I baste stitched on the fold lines, pressed each fold, hand stitched using a blind stitch.